Monday, August 27, 2012

First Day of Classes

First Day of Classes

Well, after not making any friends in my dorm room, I've met a couple of people whom I could see myself, dare I say it?!, becoming friends with. 

That's the thing about dorms - you're thrown into a living situation with people who may have absolutely no common interests with you. When you go to your classes, you meet people who are there for similar reasons, and if you're as nerdy as I am, with the same amount of motivation. 

I'm not into partying. I'm at school because four years from now I want to be closer to my goals. I want to get into Veterinary School and graduate, eventually become a veterinarian for some sort of international animal rescue team. I have big dreams, and I know how much focus it takes to get there. Of course this doesn't mean that I want to study 14-hours a day, every day. I want to have fun too!

I'll go to comedy shows, concerts, outdoor events, kayaking, hiking - you name it, I'll do it. I just don't want to party! When I say "party" I am referring to sex, alcohol, and drugs. I'm not saying I'm against these things - I'm just saying I don't want them to be the focus of my life. First off, I'm underage and I don't want to break the law (that's just me and who I am). Secondly, I feel uncomfortable at parties that involve drugs, sex, or alcohol (once again, that's just who I am). And the good news? There are other people like me! They want to go to college to get an education and have fun, without destroying their mind/lives/grades in the process. I'm not alone, I just have to find the right people. And guess what...those people are in my classes, not my dorm. 

Today, I had General Biology, a physics class about imaging technology, General Chemistry, and Calculus - in that order. General Biology went well - it looks pretty straight forward and I met a girl who seemed really nice. However, in my imaging class, I lost all of the confidence that I had gained in Bio. My professor started doing a problem on the chalk board and he completely lost me. My naive self thought that he would explain it again because it was a new concept...however I got "You all should know this, it's simple algebra." Now, that very well could have been simple algebra (I did participate in the annual brain-dumping at the beginning of summer break), but I didn't understand it! Looks like I'm going to have to try extra hard in that class!

General Chemistry and Calculus lifted my spirits a bit. Of course they're going to be challenging, but not unmanageable. Not to mention the fact that there are MANY resources at my disposal for extra help - but to be honest, I just don't want people to think I'm stupid. I'm not saying that going to see a tutor makes you stupid, I'm just saying that I feel like I'm foggy in areas that should be clear. 

Classes are already stressing me out, as is money! I spent $760 on my books! AUGH! WHAT THE HELL COLLEGE!?

No comments:

Post a Comment