Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Tuesday Off

Tuesday Off

I have no classes on Tuesdays (as you may have gathered from the heading), so I had to think of something to do, seeing as how I don't have very much homework yet. 

So here is what I did:

I got my loan check in the mail and I knew that I needed to deposit it in the bank. After realizing that my bank is about 30 minutes away by bus I decided to sign up for direct deposit. Then I used google transit (which you should totally check out if trying to understand the bus system is a confusing and stressful process for you) to find out where to catch the bus, where to get off, and where to get back on the bus. 

After figuring everything out, I decided to go to breakfast with a girl that I met on my floor. Now here's a lesson for you. Last night, I had gone to dinner by myself - very depressing and frustrating. Of course, I didn't go to a table, introduce myself, and ask to sit with new people because I personally believe that to be an unhealthy way to start friendships. When you do that, you're putting it upon the other person to talk to you, and you them. This can often be stressful and awkward - which doesn't start a friendship out to a good start. What I recommend doing is what my new friend did. We knew each other a little bit, seeing as how we both participated in "floor building exercises". She saw me leaving the cafeteria and said hello and asked what I was doing. I told her I had just eaten dinner, but nothing really. She told me that there was a craft fair at our visitor's center and invited me to come. 

Now this is a completely different situation. I said yes, because we wouldn't be in a situation that required any sort of social interaction. Therefore, we felt that we WANTED to talk to each other - not HAD to. It's such a huge difference. When you invite yourself some place you are putting yourself in a situation where people feel the NEED to include you, whereas when you invite someone or when you are invited it shows that people WANT to talk to you. This is more of a healthy start to a relationship. Of course, it may still be awkward - but that first step is more clearly an act of kindness and friendship than pity or inclusion.

ANYWAY! I went to breakfast with my friend and we walked together to Central Campus, she to get to class, and I to get to the bus. I took the bus - absolutely terrified that I was going to miss my stop. Which I did. However, I pulled the little cord and got off at a stop very soon after it. I walked about a fourth of a mile to the bank and deposited my check. Mission completed.

Now what? I guess I needed to catch the bus back to the University. Sounds kinda boring. So I decided to go for a walk. I walked along the bus route and saw just about nothing for a mile and a half and then decided to get on the bus. I took the bus back to the University and decided that it was time for lunch. 

I wasn't looking forward to eating lunch alone again - but I decided to do it anyways. I went to the dining hall and as I was going to find a seat, one of my floormates saw me and invited me to eat with her. We had a nice lunch and talked about a lot of different things. It was comfortable and nice.

Now I'm back in my dorm, procrastinating. I have some homework that I need to do, but not a lot. So, I guess, college does improve. It just takes some time. I still don't feel at home and waking up is stressful and disconcerting, however I enjoy my classes and I'm meeting new people. Things are looking up. And in the great words of Bobby McFerrin - "Don't worry, be happy."

:]

No comments:

Post a Comment